Cole Nussbaumer - Exclusive Workshop
An unmissable opportunity to learn from the world's leading Data Visualisation expert
Practical, hands-on course for any professional in any domain of business or academia
Learn the most effective ways to present data and tell a story, to increase customer engagement, make a lasting impression on the audience and show the value.
Learn how to present results and projections that clearly convey your message, using techniques that highlight your key data and lead to real change.
Discover the methods and approaches that will turn your data into a coherent and inspiring story, make a major impact and start driving action.
"I really loved today. Cole really practices what she preaches, she took the attendees on a journey, made it really practical, and brought it all to life. Everyone learned a lot."
- Bernard Marr, attendee in February 2018
Listen to the 8-minute interview with David Green, Cole Nussbaumer and Bernard Marr
after the previous Tucana 'Storytelling With Data' Masterclass in London
This masterclass is designed to be accessible to all business functions.
While examples used may be in one domain or another, the general principles and techniques that Cole teaches span all industries. Irrespective of your domain, you will learn by joining this illuminating, hands-on session.
Practical and Concrete
Being able to tell stories with data is a skill that’s becoming ever more important in our world of increasing data and desire for data-driven decision making.
An effective data visualisation can mean the difference between success and failure when it comes to communicating the findings of your study, raising money for your project, presenting to your board, or simply getting your point across to your audience.
When it comes to this, many people face a similar challenge: they recognise the need to be able to communicate effectively with data, but feel they lack expertise in this space.
These 1-day workshops directly address this challenge, imparting the skills needed to excel in this space. The sessions combine theory with practical application of content design and data visualisation best practices, with a focus on telling a compelling story with data.
“Cole – your session was awesome. Can’t wait to take these lessons back to my team.”
One of the world's undisputed masters
of Data Visualisation techniques
Founder, Storytelling with Data
Former People Analytics Manager, Google
Creator of Google's own internal Data Visualisation training
Author of Amazon Bestseller 'Storytelling with Data'
All participants will receive a free signed copy of Cole's book (RRP £31.99)
Based in San Francisco with clients across Silicon Valley and around the world, Cole is appearing exclusively at Tucana public workshops in Europe in 2018.
This is therefore a unique chance to meet and learn from this globally-recognised master of effective and high-impact Data Visualisation.
Cole Nussbaumer was the top-rated speaker at People Analytics World 2015 and 2017, and both her last Masterclasses sold out all places well in advance.
More praise for Cole's workshops:
“Very few training seminars that I’ve attended have been as directly applicable to my work as this one. I would definitely recommend it.”
“This is a great intro course that everyone who ever presents information in written or slide form needs to attend. The logical framework for how to step back and think through the ‘why’ of the data you want to share, then the link to the visual representation was well done.”
“I am INCREDIBLY judgmental and impatient with poorly planned and executed presentations. You were AMAZINGLY engaging and informative! It was immediately clear where I could utilize your training.”
“I’ve attended 5 or 6 half-day and full-day dataviz trainings in the past year and yours has been the best.”
“What did I like most? All of it. Super informative, fascinating, applicable content. Great, engaging presentation. Interesting content. Great tips and tricks.”
Everything you need to tell a powerful story with your data
In each masterclass, we cover five key lessons:
- Understand the context
- Choose an appropriate visual display
- Identify and eliminate clutter
- Draw attention where you want your audience to look, and
- Tell a story.
Concepts are made concrete via the numerous real world examples and hands-on learning through a variety of individual and small group exercises.
who should attend
Those needing to communicate with data on a regular basis will be best served by this workshop. This includes but is not limited to:
- Leaders needing to communicate in a data-driven way to their boards or investors
- Managers wanting to understand best practices and provide helpful feedback to their teams
- Analysts preparing data for internal or external stakeholders to drive informed decision making
- Data scientists or statisticians needing to share their insights with less technical audiences
- Students preparing for their dissertation or needing to communicate results of their study
The masterclass is open to all - you don't need to work in any specific business domain to get full value from attending.
From a technical standpoint, it will be helpful for those attending to have an understanding one or more tools for graphing and communicating with data (e.g. Excel, Tableau, PowerPoint). The workshop itself will be low-tech, utilising paper and pens for exercises (laptops are best left at home). The lessons will focus on best practices that can be applied in any data visualisation or presentation software.
what you will learn
At the end of this interactive workshop, participants should be able to:
- Comprehend the difference between effective and poor visuals and identify examples of each
- Understand the importance of context and audience when crafting visual communications
- Be familiar with the Big Idea and storyboarding for strategising message and planning content
- Know what type of visual to use when, given the information that is to be displayed
- Recognise clutter that doesn’t add informative value and be comfortable cutting from visuals
- Employ preattentive attributes to direct attention and provide a visual hierarchy of information
- Craft a narrative and know what text is essential to aid the audience’s interpretation of information
- Recognise the power of moving beyond simply showing data to telling a story with data
- Synthesise lessons learned to transform a poor visual into an effective visual story
09.00 – 16.30
- Lesson 1: understand the context
Discuss importance of identifying specific audience and action
- Lesson 2: choose an appropriate visual display
Review common data visualizations, use cases, and examples
- Lesson 3: identify & eliminate clutter
Introduce the Gestalt Principles; discuss issues with lack of contrast
- Lesson 4: focus your audience’s attention
Demonstrate the power of preattentive attributes like color, size, and position
- Lesson 5: tell a story
Illustrate the importance of narrative and words when communicating with data
- Applying all we’ve learned: small group work
- Applying all we’ve learned: share + discuss
- Recap, where to learn more, final Q&A, wrap up
Cole Nussbaumer - Biography
Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic tells stories with data. She is the author of Storytelling with Data: a Data Visualisation Guide for Business Professionals and writes the popular blog storytellingwithdata.com.
Her well-regarded workshops and presentations are highly sought after by data-minded individuals, companies, and philanthropic organisations all over the world.
Her unique talent was honed over the past decade through analytical roles in banking, private equity, and most recently as a manager on the Google People Analytics team. At Google, she used a data-driven approach to inform innovative people programs and management practices, ensuring that Google attracted, developed, and retained great talent and that the organisation was best aligned to meet business needs.
Cole travelled to Google offices throughout the US and Europe to teach the course she developed on data visualisation. She has also acted as an adjunct faculty member at MICA, where she taught Introduction to Information Visualisation, and has guest lectured at Stanford and Northwestern universities.
Cole has a BS in Applied Math and an MBA, both from the University of Washington. When she isn’t ridding the world of ineffective graphs one pie at a time, she is baking them, travelling, and embarking on adventures with her husband and young children in San Francisco.